Wednesday 23 June 2010

Serious? Damage to Variant engine

Long story cut short nearly ten years ago the engine in my '68 1600L Variant seized solid having been previously "profesionally" rebuilt. Having not had her on the road long and thinking I had done something wrong I stashed her in storage and bought my type 25 Kamper. 
So now that I have the workshop space sorted, last night I decided to strip the engine down and open up the case. There was a fair amount of metal fragments and one of the main bearings looks to have been fitted wrong. One of the dowels is missing, there was a lump of silicone in the oilway the bearing is chewed to bits and the case is damaged around the other dowel.















So now what I have to find out is if I can save the case. It's the original engine for to the car and I really can't afford to cough up for a new case for the sake of one tiny area being damaged. I have tried searching online and in the manuals/ books I have as to if this damage has destroyed my case. For now I have a post on VZI to see if I can get some opinions and next I will try speaking to a machine shop.
Fingers crossed it can be saved!!

No comments:

Post a Comment